Wireshark is a network packet analyzer. A network packet analyzer will try to capture network packets and tries to display that packet data as detailed as possible. You could think of a network packet analyzer as a measuring device used to examine what's going on inside a network cable, just like a voltmeter is used by an electrician to examine what's going on inside an electric cable (but at a higher level, of course). In the past, such tools were either very expensive, proprietary, or both. However, with the advent of Wireshark, all that has changed. Wireshark is perhaps one of the best open source packet analyzers available today.
- Deep inspection of hundreds of protocols, with more being added all the time
- Live capture and offline analysis
- Standard three-pane packet browser
- Multi-platform: Runs on Windows, Linux, OS X, Solaris, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and many others
- Captured network data can be browsed via a GUI, or via the TTY-mode TShark utility
- The most powerful display filters in the industry
- Rich VoIP analysis
- Read/write many different capture file formats
- Capture files compressed with gzip can be decompressed on the fly
- Live data can be read from Ethernet, IEEE 802.11, PPP/HDLC, ATM, Bluetooth, USB, Token Ring, Frame Relay, FDDI, and others (depending on your platfrom)
- Decryption support for many protocols, including IPsec, ISAKMP, Kerberos, SNMPv3, SSL/TLS, WEP, and WPA/WPA2
- Coloring rules can be applied to the packet list for quick, intuitive analysis
- Output can be exported to XML, PostScript®, CSV, or plain text
Wireshark 3.4.6 bug fixes:
The following vulnerabilities have been fixed:
- wnpa-sec-2021-06 DNP dissector crash. Issue 17462. CVE-2021-22235.
The following bugs have been fixed:
- TCP dissector – Erroneous DSACK reporting Issue 17315.
- No wlan_radio.duration calculated for PHY type: 802.11ac (VHT) Issue 17419.
- NAN Dissector has wrong minimum length for availability attribute Issue 17431.
Updated Protocol Support
ASTERIX, BT LE LL, DCE RPC, DNP, GTPv2, IEEE 802.11 Radio, LDAP, NAN, NORDIC_BLE, NR RRC, OSPF, pcapng, PNIO, RSL, S101, Snort config, and TCP
New and Updated Capture File Support
Catapult DCT2000, ERF, and pcap