Total Commander is a great two-pane file manager replacement for Windows, a program like Windows Explorer to copy, move, or delete files. It includes extra integrated applications like a built-in FTP client with FXP, a renaming tool, a disk space analyzer, a file synchronizer, can pack and unpack files, compare files by content, a quick view panel with bitmap display, HTTP proxy support and more.
Total Commander 9 is compatible with Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP/Vista/7/8/8.1/10. Total Commander is distributed as shareware with a trial period of 30 days, but will continue to function, with a subscription reminder, after that.
Total Commander features include:
- Two file windows side by side
- Multiple language and Unicode support
- Enhanced search function
- Compare files (now with editor) / synchronize directories
- Quick View panel with bitmap display
- ZIP, ARJ, LZH, RAR, UC2, TAR, GZ, CAB, ACE archive handling + plugins
- Built-in FTP client with FXP (server to server) and HTTP proxy support
- Parallel port link, multi-rename tool
- Tabbed interface, regular expressions, history+favorites buttons
- Thumbnails view, custom columns, enhanced search
- Compare editor, cursor in lister, separate trees, logging, enhanced overwrite dialog etc.
- Unicode names almost everywhere, long names (>259 characters), password manager for ftp and plugins, synchronize empty dirs, 64 bit context menu, quick file filter (Ctrl+S)
- USB port connection via special direct transfer cable, partial branch view (Ctrl+Shift+B), and many improvements to ftp, synchronizing and other functions
- And many more!
New functions in Total Commander 10.00 (beta test):
- Directories created by MacOS on ExFAT flash drives are now shown in TC. They were not shown because they had the inavlid attribute 8: Volume label
- Always show hidden directory "AppData" in c:\Users\ even with hidden files disabled
- Allow user to install key file automatically when double clicking on it.
- Add a "Zone Transfer" data stream when downloading files via anonymous FTP (Ctrl+F), or HTTP (Ctrl+N) from outside the intranet, like web browsers
- When unpacking files internally or via plugins, copy "Zone Transfer" data stream from archive to unpacked files, just like the Explorer
- New zone transfer option can be disabled via WantZoneData=0
- Always look for key file also in c:\totalcmd, even if Total Commander is installed elsewhere
- Allow to use "Windows Hello" on Windows 10 to securely store master password until TC is closed. Use fingerprint, face or pin to connect again
- Use mouse wheel to scroll through directory tabs (like in Firefox) when not using multi-line tabs
- Zoom thumbnails with Ctrl+Mouse wheel between 10% and 200% of the size configured in Configuration – Options – Thumbnails
- Load thumbnails from EXIF data (preview image) from JPG and various camera RAW formats: Canon RAW 1-3, DNG, Fuji, Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic, Pentax, Sony
- New option "Return to locked tab root directory on tab change" in Configuration – Options – Folder tabs
- Show "!" prefix when current dir differs from locked dir on tabs which are locked with directory changes allowed
- New option to only execute command line when it is focused (Configuration – Options – Layout)
- When closing TC while there are unpacked temporary files, show the user the first 3 file names and their origin
- Drop file from outside (e.g. virtual folder in Explorer) to read only directory (e.g. c:\windows): Better dialogs to allow overwrite and copy as admin
- Automatically scale dialog boxes with the chosen font if the font needs more space than the default font
- Ctrl+L on single file now also shows the Zone.Identifier stream data for that file
- Save displayed file types (e.g. *.txt) separately for each tab. Configuration – Options – Folder Tabs – Save displayed file types separately for each tab
- Ctrl+U and Ctrl+Shift+U now also swap the displayed file types if DirTabFilters=1, because they are part of the tab
- Directory menu (Ctrl+D): Option to hide menu items which begin with a user-defined character, by default a question mark '?'
- View modes, Auto-run commands: Put '-' at the start of the command field to not execute commands on tab change, only on directory change
- For locked folder tabs with directory changes allowed, show both the current directory and the locked directory if they are different
- When user cannot save settings (e.g. in Configuration menu or main settings), offer to copy ini files to user profile
- For plugins in write protected directories, intercept calls to CreateFileA/W and all INI functions, and redirect write calls to %APPDATA%\GHISLER\redirect
- Disable redirection of plugins: Add 8192 to RestrictInterface in wincmd.ini or registry
- Specify different ini locations for specific plugins: wincmd.ini [full release notes]