Run programs in a sandbox to prevent malware from making permanent changes to your PC.
Sandboxie allows you to run your browser, or any other program, so that all changes that result from the usage are kept in a sandbox environment, which can then be deleted later.
Sandboxie is a sandbox-based isolation software for 32- and 64-bit Windows NT-based operating systems. It is being developed by David Xanatos since it became open source, before that it was developed by Sophos (which acquired it from Invincea, which acquired it earlier from the original author Ronen Tzur). It creates a sandbox-like isolated operating environment in which applications can be run or installed without permanently modifying the local or mapped drive. An isolated virtual environment allows controlled testing of untrusted programs and web surfing.
Sandboxie is available in two flavors Plus and Classic. Both have the same core components, this means they have the same level of security and compatibility. What's different is the user interface the Plus build has a modern Qt based UI which supports all new features that have been added since the project went open source. The Classic build has the old no longer developed MFC based UI, hence it lacks support for modern features, these features can however still be used when manually configured in the Sandboxie.ini.
Sandboxie Plus / Classic changelog:
- added checkbox if the user wants SandMan.exe to be started after installation #1318
- added template for Windows 10 virtual desktop manager #1326
- "OpenClsid=…" is no longer restricted to CLSCTX_LOCAL_SERVER execution contexts only — this allows to run objects with the CLSCTX_INPROC_SERVER flag in the COM helper service
- in the trace view, now multiple types can be selected at once
- a few Plus UI entries were made translatable (by gexgd0419) #1320
- changed default "terminate all boxed processes" key to Shift+Pause (by isaak654) #1337
- fixed ini writing issue with SbieCtrl and the new ini handling mechanism #1331
- fixed issue with trace log filtering
- fixed space issue about German language on Plus installer (by mpheath) #1333
- restored Waterfox phishing template entries with a proper fix (by APMichael) #1334
Download: Sandboxie Plus 0.9.8d (64-bit) | Sandboxie Plus 0.9.8d (32-bit) ~15.0 MB (Open Source)
Download: Sandboxie 5.53.3 Classic (64-bit) | Sandboxie 5.53.3 Classic (32-bit) ~2.0 MB
View: Sandboxie Website | Sandboxie Plus Home Page | GitHub