Run programs in a sandbox to prevent malware from making permanent changes to your PC.
Sandboxie allows you to run your browser, or any other program, so that all changes that result from the usage are kept in a sandbox environment, which can then be deleted later.
Sandboxie is a sandbox-based isolation software for 32- and 64-bit Windows NT-based operating systems. It is being developed by David Xanatos since it became open source, before that it was developed by Sophos (which acquired it from Invincea, which acquired it earlier from the original author Ronen Tzur). It creates a sandbox-like isolated operating environment in which applications can be run or installed without permanently modifying the local or mapped drive. An isolated virtual environment allows controlled testing of untrusted programs and web surfing.
Sandboxie is available in two flavors Plus and Classic. Both have the same core components, this means they have the same level of security and compatibility. What's different is the user interface the Plus build has a modern Qt based UI which supports all new features that have been added since the project went open source. The Classic build has the old no longer developed MFC based UI, hence it lacks support for modern features, these features can however still be used when manually configured in the Sandboxie.ini.
Sandboxie Plus / Classic changelog:
- added ability to rename groups #1152
- added ability to define a custom order for the sandboxes, they can be moved by using the move context menu, or holding Alt + Arrow Key
- added recovery to list to the recovery window: #988
- added finder to the recovery window
- updated the BlockPort rule inside Template_BlockPorts to the new NetworkAccess format (by isaak654) #1162
- default for immediate recovery behaviour is now to show the recovery window instead of using the notifications window #988
- the new run dialog now requires a double-click #1171
- reworked the recovery window
- fixed issue with create group menu #1151
- fixed issue that caused a box to lose its group association when renaming
- fixed issue with Thunderbird 91+ #1156
- fixed an issue with file disposition handling #1161
- fixed issue with Windows 11 22449.1000 #1164
- fixed SRWare Iron template (by Dyras) #1146
- fixed label positioning in Classic UI (by isaak654) #1088
Download: Sandboxie Plus 0.9.6 (64-bit) | Sandboxie Plus 0.9.6 (32-bit) ~15.0 MB (Open Source)
Download: Sandboxie 5.51.6 Classic (64-bit) | Sandboxie 5.51.6 Classic (32-bit) ~2.0 MB
View: Sandboxie Website | Sandboxie Plus Home Page | GitHub