HandBrake is an open-source, GPL-licensed, multiplatform, multithreaded video transcoder, available for MacOS X, Linux and Windows. Handbrake can process most common multimedia files and any DVD or BluRay sources that do not contain any kind of copy protection.
Here is a detailed breakdown of HandBrake’s features:
- Built-in Device Presets—Get started with HandBrake in seconds by choosing a profile optimized for your device, or choose a universal profile for standard or high quality conversions. Simple, easy, fast. For those that want more choice, tweak many basic and advanced options to improve your encodes.
- Supported Input Sources—Handbrake can process most common multimedia files and any DVD or Blu-ray sources that do not contain any kind of copy protection.
- File Containers: .MP4(.M4V) and .MKV
- Video Encoders: H.265 (x265 and QuickSync), H.264(x264 and QuickSync), H.265 MPEG-4 and MPEG-2, VP8 and Theora
- Audio Encoders: AAC / HE-AAC, MP3, Flac, AC3, or Vorbis
- Audio Pass-thru: AC-3, E-AC3, DTS, DTS-HD, TrueHD, AAC and MP3 tracks
- Title/ Chapter Selection
- Queue up Multiple Encodes
- Chapter Markers
- Subtitles (VobSub, Closed Captions CEA-608, SSA, SRT)
- Constant Quality or Average BitRate Video Encoding
- Support for VFR, CFR and VFR
- Video Filters—Deinterlacing, Decomb, Detelecine, Deblock, Grayscale, Cropping and Scaling
- Live Video Preview
HandBrake 1.4.2 changelog:
- Improvements and fixes around colour bit-depth handling.
- Fixed various issues where incorrect colour information could be written during muxing.
- Fixed corrupted video output when decoding HDR10 content with QuickSync
- Fixed a slight subtitle colour shift issue when using libass
- Fixed a build system errors that could cause failures linking libbluray
- Fixed incorrect documentation URL
- Fixed a possible crash that can occur when applying a malformed preset.
- Added "Preset" used to the Queue summary tab.
- Added "Save New Preset" to the preset menu, and toolbar preset dropdown to make it easier to find. (#3783)
- Added category headers to the presets menu when using the flat display mode.
- Changed the log filename format back to start with the destination filename as it did with 1.3 (#3740)
- Changed tab selection behaviour on queue when changing jobs. it will no longer reset to the first tab. (#3813)
- Fixed a minor UI juddering effect on the queue task list when jobs start or finish (#3813)
- Fixed calculation errors when using padding on the dimensions tab (#3802)
- Fixed an issue where static preview wasn't live-updating when changes occurred (#3803)
- Fixed a crash on the Audio Defaults screen whilst trying to add Tracks (#3785)
- Fixed incorrect taskbar icon state when running multiple encodes (#3791)
- Fixed an issue where "None" resolution limit was not honoured (#3872)
- Fixed an issue with preset export. VideoTune was not written correctly (#3829)