HandBrake is an open-source, GPL-licensed, multiplatform, multithreaded video transcoder, available for MacOS X, Linux and Windows. Handbrake can process most common multimedia files and any DVD or BluRay sources that do not contain any kind of copy protection.
Here is a detailed breakdown of HandBrake’s features:
- Built-in Device Presets—Get started with HandBrake in seconds by choosing a profile optimized for your device, or choose a universal profile for standard or high quality conversions. Simple, easy, fast. For those that want more choice, tweak many basic and advanced options to improve your encodes.
- Supported Input Sources—Handbrake can process most common multimedia files and any DVD or Blu-ray sources that do not contain any kind of copy protection.
- File Containers: .MP4(.M4V) and .MKV
- Video Encoders: H.265 (x265 and QuickSync), H.264(x264 and QuickSync), H.265 MPEG-4 and MPEG-2, VP8 and Theora
- Audio Encoders: AAC / HE-AAC, MP3, Flac, AC3, or Vorbis
- Audio Pass-thru: AC-3, E-AC3, DTS, DTS-HD, TrueHD, AAC and MP3 tracks
- Title/ Chapter Selection
- Queue up Multiple Encodes
- Chapter Markers
- Subtitles (VobSub, Closed Captions CEA-608, SSA, SRT)
- Constant Quality or Average BitRate Video Encoding
- Support for VFR, CFR and VFR
- Video Filters—Deinterlacing, Decomb, Detelecine, Deblock, Grayscale, Cropping and Scaling
- Live Video Preview
HandBrake 1.4.1 changelog:
- Fixed a crash when using "Align AV" on Intel based systems. (#3683)
- Fixed a crash when reading certain DVD's with missing VOB files
- Fixed an issue with QuickSync accelerated Crop/Scale generating incorrect aspect ratios (#3236)
- Fixed a crash after a subtitle scan when using the QuickSync encoder. (#3741)
- Backport some libass patches which should correct some issues with font and font-weight selections. (#3736)
- Fixed an issue that could prevent 3rd party software handling HandBrake files with dvb subtitles.
Command line interface
- Fixed a regression that prevented upscaling when using -w and -h (#3746)
- Added: flatpak permission to show bookmarks in file dialogs (#3748)
- Fix an issue where the Quality Slider was being ignored when using the VideoToolbox encoder. (#3751)
- Fixed an issue where incompatible hardware presets could be selected.
- Windows UI builds are now available for ARM64 devices. (Named arm64 or aarch64 in the download section)
- Added upgrade notices to the installer welcome page advising of .NET Desktop Runtime 5 requirements and to complete existing queue. (#3693)
- Added support for software rendering which can be enabled to workaround issues with Variable Refresh Rate and 3rd party software causing rendering corruption (#3755)
- Added a new preference to define how the preset toolbar button renders the preset list. (#3697)
- Fixed a crash which would prevent all user settings from loading in some circumstances.
- Fixed "Reset Settings" button in preferences. Certain settings were not reset correctly. (#3726)
- Fixed issues with the built-in updater that may cause it to fail to run the installer if the app was not running as admin.
- Fixed an issue that required and app restart to apply changes to the max simultaneous encodes setting.
- Fixed an issue with Audio Defaults fallback encoder quality/bitrate/mixdown settings would not display correct values (#3739)
- Fixed an with QSV multi-instance support where multiple Intel GPU's are used.